Day 1 - Wednesday 18th September 2019
Wednesday, September 18th, 2019
- What will be the impact if the US federal reserve continues to increase interest rates?
- When will global asset markets be released from the stranglehold of high US interest rates and the strong dollar?
- Turkish Lira freefalling and Indian rupee slipping to a record low against USD in 2018 - Will these trends spark off a currency contagion in emerging markets?
- Indonesian Rupiah and Indian Rupee coming under pressure in 2018 - Are we going to see a repeat of this next year or will we see a greater stability?
- It is possible that certain ASEAN member states and ASEAN as a whole might face the danger of a “stroke” in exchange rates?
- Dollar cycle and opportunities in EM currencies - Where are we in terms of the dollar cycle and what does it mean for the emerging FX markets?
- How can you overcome the challenge of trading restricted currencies in emerging markets?
As Asia’s bond markets enter the next decade of growth, operating conditions have changed markedly. A region that once struggled out of the debacle of the late 1990s meltdown is now an oasis of economic stability and the driver of global economic growth, especially since the great financial crisis of 2008. China has emerged to become the world’s second largest economy. Its bond market is now the world’s third largest, placed behind the United States and Japan. In this session our speakers will share their insights on:
- Are Asian local currency bonds attractive to global investors? And how can they gain maximum exposure in this market?
- As the emerging markets go through periods of volatility, is it still recommended to allocate emerging markets in core portfolios?
- With emerging markets offering less security than majority of international developed markets, what are the risk factors that investors should look out for?
- The political dynamics in Indonesia Malaysia and India – With the presidential elections happening in 2019, what are the uncertainties these markets will face?
- The inclusion of Chinese and Indonesian bonds into the global bond indices – How has this improved the overall sentiment towards Asian local currency bonds and has there been a positive impact on performance?
- Hard Vs. local currency bonds – How can you choose between these to enjoy the full benefits of potential bond market returns?
Diversity is really lacking in the Hong Kong ETF space and according to a survey conducted by Brown Brothers Harriman, although a majority of Hong Kong investors plan to increase their ETF investments in the next 12 months, they would like to see more ETF products across different asset classes. 65% of them want to see more global fixed income products and 63% of them want to see more currency-hedged products, as there are only two such ETFs listed in Hong Kong. In this session our panel of speakers from Vanguard, Goldman Sachs and Lombard Ordier will examine:
- What are the current challenges in estimating the depth of the ETF market amongst institutional investors?
- What are the main reasons for the lack of ETF popularity among the local investors?
- How can investors use ETF as a tool to diversify their portfolios, manage volatility and lower transaction costs?
- The advantages and disadvantages of ETFs and the liquidity in ETFs - how to manage liquidity in the fixed income environment and what are the challenges?
- Matching your bond world to ETFs - Where should ETFs lie in the trading ecosystem and how can you bring these two worlds together for more diversified trading and execution options?
- Trading efficiencies in fixed income ETFs - How can you enhance trading efficiencies in fixed income ETFs? And what have been the recent innovations in the Asian ETF market?
- Evolution of fixed income ETFs - what does the future hold for fixed income ETFs and how is the market forecasted to evolve over the next 3 years?
- Assessing the uptake of cryptocurrencies in FX - Should buy-side FX traders incorporate them into their workflow and investment portfolio?
- What does the regulatory landscape look like and where is it heading?
- What are cryptocurrencies and how do they work? Should you take them seriously and are they secure?
- Which market participants are testing the potential of cryptocurrencies?
- Will there continue to be flash crashes?
- What role do cryptocurrencies play in emerging markets?
- How can we expect cryptocurrencies to develop in the near future?